Friday, September 23, 2011

A personal Healthy Chaser Challenge account from Sara D.


I started the Healthy Chasers Challenge not really sure how or what I was going to do, but it sounded like fun. Even though I doubted I would make it to the actual “LDW Chaser Con” at Harrah’s, I knew I would still enjoy working on the challenge with the Chaser community. I had a strong start with the eating plan from Elizabeth, and two weeks later along with everyone else, I refocused my efforts on getting my walking workouts going on a regular basis.

I've never been a runner. I like to “power walk” with hand weights and speed intervals, and I also enjoy kickboxing, but running has never really been my cup of tea. At the start of the HCC, I discovered that Jillian and Denise both enjoyed running and that Denise is working on a goal of completing a half-marathon race in all 50 states. One day she mentioned a December half-marathon race in Las Vegas http://stripatnight.com/ and I told her how impossible that sounded to me. So I decided to start training for it – because I thought it was impossible. I would have 8 months to train and go from “non-runner” to “half-marathoner.” With that goal in mind and a wonderful support system from the HCC participants, I found a great book at the library on running and also began looking for some shorter practice races in my area.
Over the next few months, I participated in four 5k races. Three of the races raised money for different programs in my community, which I thought of as a bonus. My most successful race was for the local no-kill animal shelter.  I came in 4th place for amount raised through sponsorships, and 3rd place in my age group in the race itself. I received an adorable medal, a race day shirt, a shelter logo shirt and cap, and I raced for free. 

In my least successful race, when they yelled “Go!” everyone else took off so fast that I was left standing at the starting line by myself. I composed myself and started off on a much slower walk/jog. Later, the other racers cheerfully waved as they passed me on their way back to the finish line while I was still headed towards the halfway point. I asked the water guy waiting there to call ahead and tell them not to wait for me, but I did make sure to finish the race. When I got there at least 30 minutes behind all of the other racers (who had already gone home) (not an exaggeration), the race coordinator handed me a trophy. He said he was glad that I had kept going, and I assume he was also impressed that I didn't die along the way...  He briefly outlined a training plan and said that he hoped I would continue and come back to a future race.
Partway through the summer I was given a pair of real running shoes from someone who accidentally bought hers too small. I took this as a blessing and an encouraging sign to keep training.  SNC and SNC FanChats provided a majority of the soundtrack during my training as well as the races. I looked forward to the uninterrupted listening time and time to relax and hear myself think. I cross-trained by riding my bike the seven miles to work or to home while getting a ride the opposite way, as needed. A couple of times I even walked home - the first time was just to see if I could! I made it, but I ended up with a couple of fairly nasty blisters. I was proud of myself for trying, though.
The food part of the HCC was admittedly harder for me and it probably always will be. I really liked the three daily fruit snacks and I kept up with it for a while, but it was hard making sure I had enough fruit from payday to payday that wouldn’t spoil, and also sometimes what I wanted was too expensive or just didn’t look good at the store.  One thing that I made it a point to find was a healthier alternative to my morning “coffee with tons of sugar and creamer.” After some experimenting, I found that honey and agave nectar are both absolutely delicious coffee sweeteners, and almond or hazelnut milk makes excellent creamer. Lastly, with exercising more I wanted to drink more water and little-to-no soda, so I taste-tested carbonated waters until I found some I really liked (Arrowhead Sparkling Water, various flavors).  On days when I remembered to bring a bottle with me to work, I didn’t drink soda with lunch and I didn’t miss it.
Now, at the end of the challenge, I've decided that I'm really not a runner. Also, while that Las Vegas race still sounds amazing and I’m disappointed to miss it, I'm just not ready to try that yet. I do still enjoy walking and the 5k races were fun! I would like to do more of them as a walker and the race community is becoming more walker-friendly all the time. It was fun chatting with the same people from race to race and there were usually a few dogs, too. I always felt good as long as I finished ahead of the dachshunds!  The HCC has reinforced to me how great it feels to prepare for something and keep going a little bit at a time until I finish it.  I’m trying to take that lesson and use it in my writing pursuits.  Novel writing, for example, is often compared to marathon training because of the many writing sessions needed over a long time to complete a book.     
Thank you to Elizabeth and Jillian for putting the HCC together. The support system was instrumental in getting me through those beginning workouts and each of the races. All I had to do was tweet that I was about to start and there was always someone there to cheer me on. I was surprised by the doubts and even fears that showed up when I decided to try running; thank you Jillian and Denise for answering my questions and giving me reassurance when I needed it. And thank you, Chasers, for the encouragement and Twitter cheers. I fully intend to keep on going, and maybe I’ll be ready to walk a half-marathon next year! Fall HCC, anyone? :o)

 Some of the SWAG I earned from the races and proof (to myself) that I showed up! Woo hoo!
 
~Sara D.

No comments:

Post a Comment