Thursday, April 21, 2011

What the heck happened?


Okay, so the title of this blog may be a bit misleading, but I honestly have been asking myself that the past week or so. I was doing so well, running 3-4 times a week plus my core workouts. Following the meal plan (for the most part) and losing weight. Then I hit a wall called my knee. Oh hooray for the strain that running put on my poor knee! I haven't officially had a diagnos is yet, but I'm pretty sure I have Runner's Knee aka one-of-the-most-annoying-injuries-ever.

But I'm not here to complain and moan about my injury. So is the life of someone trying to stay healthy, lose weight, and train for a 7 Mile Run and Half Marathon. It just comes with the territory, and is not the reason I wanted to write a blog.

Since so many of us are signing up for the Tim Kerr 7 Mile/5K Run/Walk on September 4th, Elizabeth and I thought it would be a great idea to have a blog (or maybe several) dedicated to sharing of what I've been doing to start training in my running program. I wanted to take it a step further, and ask that anyone who has/will be running/walking in a race share what they've been doing. Basically, what I will do is have anyone who shares basically write a “guest blog” that we can post so we all can continue this great support. Also, everyone's training/workouts will be different, and I always find it encouraging to read what others are doing, for it could help me in my workouts.

Okay, so here I go...

Now, I should start off by saying that I've been running consistently since early November. I started off really slow, only going about 15 min on the elliptical 3 times a week. Then I slowly started building my time to 30 min and then moved onto the treadmill. I've been trying to keep to Mon-Wed-Fri 30 min runs and then on Sundays, go at least a full hour.

Now, on the training programs I've been researching for the half marathon I'm doing later this year, it says to run based on miles and not time. What I personally recommend to those who are still building their endurance, to start by going by time first, and then once you feel comfortable (I would say after a couple weeks), switch over to running based on length. That is what I'm now switching to. Also, a HUGE recommendation to all of those doing the race Sept. 4th, make sure you ALWAYS do a run/walk workout on Sunday and make sure it is always the day you run/walk the most. This is because this is your race day, so you want to get used to going a farther distance on this day.

I also make sure I do strength/core training in addition to my running. Lately, I've been slacking on this (thanks, knee) but I mix it up and try to do arm and leg workouts at least once a week, and then core/ab workouts at least twice a week. For my leg workouts, I do a lot of lunges and some leg presses. I highly recommend doing some type of leg workouts if you are doing any races. You need to make sure you can handle the distance, and your legs are going to be the part of your body that tells you whether you actually can do this or not.

Workout at night? In the morning? During lunch? I've heard/read lots of things giving their opinions on what time of day is best for your workouts (a lot tend to lean towards the morning, and this may be true) but for me personally, I would rather do my workouts after work. A lot of this has to do with that being practically the only time I have, but I've also done really early morning workouts before I head into work. I say, as long as you are able to get your workouts in, it doesn't really matter when this happens. The only time that I believe matters is my Sunday workouts, again, because this will be race day. I've been trying to go first thing Sunday morning since all races tend to be bright and early!

So, this is what I've been doing...or was doing before my slight snag. But thankfully, I have my brother who is giving me advice, stretching exercises, etc to help get my knee back to 100%. Plus, it's getting ever-so-close to summer! Wow...is it really almost May already? I love it!!

Also...who's doing the race Labor Day Weekend? I know a few of you have signed up, but Elizabeth and I are starting to plan things for us for race day, and we want to know everyone who's doing the race, so make sure you let one of us know!

Again, please share your workouts/training programs! You can email the healthychasers@gmail.com address or even comment below and we'll put up your guest blog!

Love you all!

Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment