Saturday, March 19, 2011

BMI: Body Mass Index

I'm sure many of you have heard the term, BMI or Body Mass Index from either the popular media or from a medical professional. BMI is usually described as a number but what does it really mean? Body mass index is defined as the individual's body weight divided by the square of his or her height. TRANSLATION: the calculation of BMI provides a simple numeric measure of a person's body mass compared to their height and has allowed health professionals to discuss over-and under-weight problems with a point of reference with their patients.



You may think BMI  = TMI, but in truth, BMI is actually not enough information. While BMI has given clinicans and the general public a point of reference and a means of "classification", recently it has become somewhat controversial as limitations to the equation have been discussed.


For example, taller people tend to have a reported BMI that is uncharacteristically high compared to their actual body fat levels. In addition athletes with large amounts of lean body mass and high body mass (muscle weighs more than fat) would thus be considered overweight or obese by BMI, but would in fact have a low percentage of body fat.



BMI Classification
< 18.5 underweight
18.5–24.9 normal weight
25.0–29.9 overweight
30.0–34.9 class I obesity
35.0–39.9 class II obesity
≥ 40.0 class III obesity 

Ideally, at the start of the Chaser Challenge, I would have liked to know everyone's percentages of lean mass vs. fat mass so that we can compare and see how far we have come by the end. I think what I'll do, is bring my TANITA scale (a smaller version of the one we use at the hospital and clinic) to the last weekend of SNC shows in Atlantic City so that at the end of the challenge, if anyone is interested in learning these numbers, they will be available. 
 
In the meantime, I'm going to be calculating BMIs for reference purposes with the starting values you have provided and if you are interested in knowing yours, leave a comment or send an email and I will PRIVATELY send your BMI to you. Please do not freak out if you decide to see your number and it is higher than what you'd like. Remember the limitations of the equation and also remember that this is only the beginning! On a side note, Jillian and I are both away this weekend - although in different cities - and we will be taking a break from the blog posts tomorrow...but not the diet! We'll see you back on the blog on Monday morning! 
 
Don't forget to fill in those food journals from this week, weigh yourself after you use the restroom on Monday morning (and hopefully before you eat breakfast) and send those numbers to: healthychasers@gmail.com.
 
Did we tell you that I send my numbers/food journal to Jillian and she sends hers to me just to keep each other accountable? TOGETHER we are getting healthier by the minute!!! Go Healthy Chasers!!! Get Healthy!!! 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, please send me my starting BMI. Pretty sure I know what it is, but I would like you to confirm. I just typed up my food log and will send it tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #random LOL! My word verification was "mulder"! *sniff* I miss Scully and Mulder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already know what mine is, but thank you anyway! I really appreciate all the work you and Jillian are putting into this blog. Thank you so much for your support!! Go Healthy Chasers!

    Cheers,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete