Monday, March 21, 2011

Healthy Snacks for Kids


Hola Chasers!

So, to start off this week, I thought it would be fun to talk about something a bit different: Healthy Snacks for kids!

I know that we have several moms in on the Challenge, and we've had inquiries on how to possibly incorporate their diet with their kids, so I've looked up several healthy (and extremely yummy) snack choices.

Now, I know that there are those (like myself) who have not yet had the privilege of taking on the title of "Mom" but I know that being an aunt myself, these tips can really come in handy!

For some of these, I have personally grown up eating these, where some, I thought they were extremely creative and sounded delicious! Hey...you don't have to be a kid to eat these, right? I'll just use the "I'm a kid at heart" excuse. Huh, I tend to use that one a lot...don't judge me.

Alright, so enough chatter from me...here's the list!

1. Cut up celery sticks with peanut butter or low-fat cream cheese. Add raisins. (some call these "Ants on a Log." I call them delicious.)

2. Apple slices dipped in peanut butter.

3. Mini Pizza: A Toasted English Muffin with pizza sauce and low-fat mozzarella cheese.

4. Popcorn sprinkled with grated Parmesan cheese (this can be especially tasty if you're having a "movie night" with the kids!)

5. Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make your kid's favorite sandwiches on whole grain bread, then cut out your (or their) favorite shapes with cookie cutters! (this can be especially fun for the kids to help with, especially if they're younger!)

6. Dip a peeled banana in yogurt, roll it in crushed cereal and freeze. (I've never personally done this, but I will...that sounds incredible)

7. A Microwaved small baked potato sprinkled with reduced-fat cheddar cheese and salsa.

8. Snack Kabobs! Put cubes of low-fat cheese and grapes on pretzel sticks! (Another fun idea, to let the kids build these themselves! And they can eat the sticks! Bonus!)

9. Blend low-fat milk, frozen strawberries (or fresh!) and a banana for 30 seconds to make a delicious (and healthy!) smoothie!

10. Sprinkle low-fat cheese onto a corn tortilla, fold in half, microwave for 20 seconds, top with salsa, and "presto!" Quesadilla!

These are just 10 that I found particularly interesting. If you wanted to look up more healthy choices, check out http://www.eatright.org/ and look up their "Eat Right Nutrition Tips!"

And hey, for all of you moms out there, if you have any other suggestions/comments, please share! The more that we can share from our own experiences, the more fun this can be!

Hope you all have a great Week 2!

Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment